Friday, September 14, 2007

what is with the age range?

I think that one of this is one of the hardest things to research I mean there is nothing concrete about the evidence because there is so much of the human element involved. Nothing is guaranteed especially dealing with violence and I think much of this has to do with who a person already is, if there life is bad and violence is something they know, then I feel like violence is the answer for them. For me I don't think that video games or violence on TV make people more likely to commit violent acts. I do wonder if rather than focusing on TV violence creating violent people I think there might be a more interesting study to focus on TV, the internet, and video games helping to create a person's isolation from society and that leading to violence or depression. I don't know just a thought.

I feel like these studies might be too controlled because of the laboratory setting as Jib Fowles said. I mean it does make sense that in a new environment kids act differently than they do at home. I also had a concern with these experiments, for me the age range seems enormous. One in particular ranged from 8 to 15 and another 11 to 16. I just feel as though this is an enormous range. Children are constantly changing and growing and I think that to lump all of these ages together is a huge mistake on any researchers part. I mean we all know that there is a really big difference in the way an 8 year old acts and a 15 year old acts. There lives are completely different and that is why I really have trouble trusting these experiments. I feel like and acceptable age range might be 2 years at the most for children.

No comments: