Friday, October 26, 2007

"No restriction on Freedom of Speech"

“To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker,” Frederick Douglass.

I am proud to be an American because of the many freedoms I enjoy in this country. Just being able to write and print my ideas is essential to my growth as a person.

Do I disapprove of hate groups who march to get their point across? No, as U.S. citizens, they have the right but I too have a right to counter protest.

Edison and Jacobs’s example of Janet Jackson “wardrobe malfunction” at the 2004 Super Bowl was the catalyst for government intrusion. Congress wasted no time in putting hefty fines on television and radio stations to comply with its new restrictions.

Restriction must put on those who do not understand what true freedom means. This country has produced great speakers such as, W.E. B. Du Bois, John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr.

Here are two websites that give insight into this freedom we all share.
Http:www.freedomforum.org and Http:www.ourcivilisation.com

No comments: